The End is Near!



It is May, the end of so many things. Grandson Drew and granddaughter Ellie had their last day of preschool this week. Lindsey was busy creating a special "thank you" gift for their teachers. As I approach my final chemo treatment, I find I am in the same state of mind...should I take something to the awesome doctor and nurses at MDAnderson who have helped me complete this chemo journey? Kind of like taking the teacher something special to remember you by because you don't plan on seeing them for a long time!!!!!....

Maybe some cookies...but what do I say? Should I be clever or just keep it simple with a "thanks". I asked the communication czar for her input. Her suggestions follow...

Because of you my cancer has been beat
So, here's a 'thank you" and a special treat!

Thanks to you my cancer has been beaten, so
here's a thank you and something to be eaten!

Here's a fantastic little cookie,
because I am cancer-free - whoopee!

(I asked, and no, she had not been drinking.)

Then she suggested that I could put a disclaimer on the cookies...that I guaranteed there was no hair in the cookies.

Most of the time you are really late,
but now's a time to celebrate!
Have a cookie: one or two,
but don't forget you have things to do!

From the beginning you showed me care,
then I went and lost my hair.
thanks for the serious, major drugs
here's a cookie and some hugs.

Not long ago I had cancer
looks like chemo was the answer!
So grateful for your excellent care
here are some cookies for you to share!

And for the fabulous Dr. Bevers....

Ovarian cancer is kind of crappy
but you as my doctor makes me so darn happy!
Your pretty darn smart and even-keel
let's never meet again. Deal?

5 months ago they said "cancer"
but Dr. Bevers was the answer.
Thanks for getting me back on my feet
here is a delicious treat!

And finally, a comment about herself...

Lindsey watches too much Cat in the Hat,
she needs to watch adult TV stat!

Care to weigh in on which one I should choose?

My time spent getting ready in the morning just keeps getting shorter and shorter. No wasted time waiting to apply another coat of mascara or plucking eyebrows. As a matter of fact, I feel like I can relate to the balding person who "combs over" that long piece(s) of hair on the crown of her/her head trying to get it to cover as much as possible. I have a few eyebrows remaining and I am spending a great deal of time trying to get these last 5-7 to do the job that 20? used to do. Thank goodness for eyebrow pencils. And wigs with bangs. No one notices. However, a friend of mine pointed out that God counts the hairs on our heads...and that chemo has made it easier for God to count mine..."And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered." Matthew 10:30  Yes, God is a God of details. These past four months has shown me time and time again how God was working out all the details of this diagnosis and treatment long before I ever knew there was any cause for concern. And because of this I can "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

I related to a friend of mine that with my bald head, I looked like Mattress Mac. Not the best compliment as to my looks, but I did feel it was accurate. Something about the ears...So, I friend sent me the following...

When you look in the mirror, may beautiful friend, don't say "Blah," say "Ta-da!" Why? Because that's what God said the day he make you!
Women, you see, were the crown of his creation, God's ultimate creative effort. After adding the finishing touches, he declared, "It is very good."
Not "Next!"
Not "Uh-oh."
Not "Oops."
Just imagine God smiling at you and saying, "Ta-da! I did it! She's finished and she's all mine." You're not a mistake, beloved. No way. You are God's definition of beauty for you.
by Liz Curtis-Higgs, from Rise and Shine

I started this journey knowing that this was what God wanted for me; this was not a mistake. So now when I look in the mirror I no longer see Mattress Mac but instead I say "TA-DA" this is what the Lord chose for me. Let me rejoice and be glad in it!


The MDAnderson volunteers made a You-Tube video from the Sprint for Life run earlier this month.  About 11 minutes into the 17 minute video is a category called Shirt Wisdom. Second t-shirt shown is the Team Dee Dee shirt...showing the best part, the back side with our chosen Bible verse 2 Timothy 4:17 "But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength."  I think it is so cool that this verse will now be seen by all those who view the video. 


Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers and the constant reminder of the love and support that is in place for Bruce and I. We could not have done this without you. I appreciate everything and am at a loss of how to express my gratitude for all of you and all the kindness you have showered on us.

I am scheduled for the sixth and final chemo treatment around the first of June, assuming I will have the white blood count numbers to get the go ahead. Dr. Bevers has already started preparing me for a delay, but I am still hopeful. Either way, I know that I will get the sixth treatment and I will be finished with chemo. Then what? Then what? I am not sure. We have not discussed that yet, but I know that conversation will be soon. I ask for your prayers...for the WBC (especially those neutrophils)  to be where it needs to be to get my final chemo clearance. Also for wisdom for Bruce and I to ask all the right questions of Dr. Bevers and to clearly understand the future plan. Of course, I do pray for complete healing...for the cancer to be gone and to NEVER COME BACK in any other form! I know that God can do this, and I ask that He will.

Love you guys.
Don't forget to let me know if you think it is corny to take cookies my last day of school chemo!

1 comment:

  1. Love, Love the post; Lindsey at least reads the good stuff! Absolutely not corny....the nurses and doctors always love to get treats since, like teachers, then often don't have time for baking. I do however believe that you and Dr. Bevers will see each other again since there are always follow up visits for a while :)
    Will keep prayers for good WBC for next week and for the months ahead of good checkups and that final clearance that "you're cancer free"! Praise the Lord for watching over you Dee Dee.
    Love and Hugs,
    Carl and Gayle

    ReplyDelete

About Me

DISCLAIMER