My Head Is Spinning

I think I have gotten off one roller coaster and onto another one!

Bruce and I met with the Clinical Care for Targeted Therapy (CCTT) at MD Anderson on Tuesday. This is its own specialty clinic with its own doctors, staff...just like all clinics at MDA. After 3 1/2 hours our brains were swimming with lots of new information, new thoughts regarding treatments and new terms that we felt we needed to immediately incorporate into our medical database.

Three studies were identified by Dr. Piha-Paul as being the best choice for potential treatment. And the study coordinator for each study visited with us about the study protocol and qualifications necessary to be eligible for the study. These qualifications dealt with having the right blood markers, tissue markers, tumor size, insurance approval, etc. All those fun things. I signed up for all three. (You have to consent to treat in order to get the process started with the study...before they will look at those blood and tissue markers. This is the first step in figuring out if you qualify for the studies or not. Consent can be withdrawn at any time.) Dr. Piha-Paul identified Study #2 as being the one she thought would be best for me.

Thursday we got back to the familiar with Dr. Bevers. He had reviewed the findings of Dr. Piha-Paul and was able to answer questions for us and all the "what ifs" that we had. He identified Study #1 as his choice for me.

Couldn't they have agreed?

Just in case you are counting...Study #3 will take A LONG TIME to qualify for and if I pass those hurdles, the study requires much lab preparation time before any action would start with me. Just because it was going to be such a long time to get started with this (if qualified), I decided I would choose the others over this one.

I kept waiting to hear from God. What would His plan be for me? Which way would He have me go? I joked that I was going to leave a tablet out for Him to write out His plan for me. I was not getting His direction and I felt like I would need to make a decision soon.

And then God. He called late Thursday afternoon.
The study coordinator for Study #2 called to say that after the radiologist reviewed my PET scan, I was not a good match for the study. God shut that door and I was filled with joy and peace.
So, by the process of elimination, that would mean Dr. B's favorite...Study #1!

Friday morning I checked in with the study coordinator of Study #1. It was then that he informed me that I did not qualify for his study either!!??!! I was at a loss for words. I never imagined that God would close the door to both #2 and #1 WOW!! Now what?

Yep, I think He is leaving me with those two little words that cancer patients do not like hearing...
WAIT and PATIENCE. I am praying that as I seek to follow Him, that He will keep His healing hands on those tumors and keep them from progressing. And that He will grant me an extra dose of patience.

Stay tuned.

Love to you all,
Dee Dee

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

DISCLAIMER