Gosh Darn!

That title can only mean one thing...that cancer is now "progressing". We knew it was still there...just not doing anything. I guess "spring has sprung" also applies to this cancer "blooming". Not that it has overtaken me, but progressing... as verified by the PET scan on Tuesday. This means the maintenance drug Zejula is no longer effective and it is time for me to head back to the "day spa" at MDA for monthly chemo infusions.

Lindsey put a positive spin on this most recent development. She commented that God had "gifted" me with many things in the past when it came to chemo. First, He protected me from the many possible big time side effects of chemo. In the second round, He gifted me with a drug that did not cause my hair to fall out. And this last time, the chemo "gift" was in the form of a tiny pill...no day spa with the Zejula. She is encouraging me to look for the "gift" He has in store for me with this round. That is a very good idea. I will look for His gift...daily, and especially as it relates to this chemo.

This round we will be using a drug that I have had before and have tolerated pretty well. This is the one that I developed a slight reaction to so in order to get this all important drug in my system without incident they will infuse it slowly and in progressively increased dilutions. All that to say it will be a five hour treatment. The good news is that my skin is so dry, I will appreciate all the fluids!

This is an ongoing battle. For me and so many others. Ovarian cancer ranks fifth in cancer deaths among women, accounting for more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system. A woman's risk of getting ovarian cancer during her lifetime is about 1 in 79. Her lifetime chance of dying from ovarian cancer is about 1 in 108. But when ovarian cancer is found in its early stages, treatment works best. Finding it early is the key!

This cancer keeps trying to knock me down, and I am tired of it! I will continue to fight, but I want to kick it back...by helping to make the grim prognosis of ovarian cancer a thing of the past. I want to raise money for research so that other ladies I love will not have to go through this...so that you, my friends, your daughters, granddaughters, sisters, mothers, nieces, aunts, BFFs, every woman in existence, will not have to experience this cancer. But I need your help.

MD Anderson sponsors a 5K Sprint for Life annual run/walk to raise money for research and cancer awareness. All the money raised stays at MD Anderson to aid in these goals. I am putting a team together to run/walk and raise money. Some of you might remember Team Wonder Woman from 2014. Some of us ran (a few anyway), some of us walked and some of us meandered, but all of us partied after! Yep, we are gonna do it again. Run, walk, dance, skip, be happy, celebrate friendship and raise money to over come ovarian cancer.

And the name of our team is.... 
Dee Dee's Team, The OvarCommers.


  • If you are around on May 5, we'd love to have you there in person to run, walk, and/or eat cookies.  Please follow the link below to register with our team.
  • If you can't be there because you are too far away or simply prefer to sleep in on Saturday- but want to support the cause- click on the same link and go to the second tab to make a donation.  Anything helps!
  • If you don't want to run or walk or make a donation, I'd be honored to have you continue to support me in spirit.
https://thedriven.net/event.race_reg/eid/9442123489

I will update you about the run/walk as the event gets closer. 

Some of you have asked how to receive the e-mail updates to this blog. There is a box on the right side of the blog's page to add e-mail addresses for updates. However, this box cannot be seen when you view the blog on your phone and I am not sure about an ipad. If you want to sign up for updates,  read the blog on your PC and you will see the box and be able to add addresses.

Chemo begins again for me tomorrow, Friday at 8 am. I will admit, I am having a bit of trouble getting back into the "groove". God and Bruce will be with me tomorrow...the best cheerleaders around. I WILL get my groove back and in the meantime, I will continue to trust in the Almighty and in His perfect plan. "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord," plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11  My hope is in the Lord. 

Dee Dee


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

DISCLAIMER